Alex&I

Alex&I

Monday, March 28, 2016

Zootopia

Recently, my husband and I went on a double date and saw the movie, Zootopia. The movie was really cute and funny. But I couldn't help but be somewhat critical about it. One positive message from the movie is that you can be independent and successful as a woman. The protagonist is a woman and she is able to accomplish her dreams. I love that she doesn't fall in love, and that she is never portrayed as chasing after a man like most other Disney movies. On the other hand, one thing I really disliked was their portrayals of the thin ideal in this movie. All the women animals were seen with "unrealistic" bodies and form-fitting clothing. I mean.. a bullet proof bra is not a realistic piece of attire, yet it was seen on the protagonist for most of the film. I found this aspect of the movie really sad. This messages of what women should look like are being slammed into young girl's minds all the time. And these are animals!! They don't need to be portrayed that way.. it's completely unnecessary.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective! When I saw the movie I didn't even notice the "thin ideal" throughout. That just goes to show how desensitized I am to it. It's just something that I've come to expect in movies, which is very unfortunate. Overall I loved the movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really really good point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so amazing that we are able to become critical viewers of media. Our class has brought up really important messages that we need to look for in the media we consumed. I have not seen Zootopia, but it is on my list to see. That is so sad that they send the message of the thin ideal.

    ReplyDelete